Bethel Old Train Station
This photo depicts Bethel’s second train station which provided passenger service until 1996 when the new station was constructed farther north along the line. Bethel’s original train station occupied this same spot from the time the Danbury & Norwalk Railroad began service in 1852 until the building was destroyed by fire in December of 1898. This station also served from 1872 until 1911 for the train line which connected service between Bethel and the Hawleyville station in Newtown (which then continued north as far as Litchfield).
- Danbury News May 24, 1899“ The interior of the new station is fitted up very comfortably. The waiting room is neatly finished off and furnished with all of the accommodations necessary. The ticket and telegraph office is in the center of the building, between the freight and passenger departments. Agent McMahon has a cozy little office, and just opposite is a small baggage room, which will be in charge of Baggagemaster Beaupin. The new station, although not a large one, will probably meet all requirements, and is certainly substantially built and nicely arranged.”